The one thing I hated about the nursery was the attic access (aka: cabinet door) on the wall.
I mean, how is this not noticeable:
So, I started debating my options, because, well, this was just not acceptable. I toyed with the idea of a large picture or other ways to hide it. Then one day I realized I was going about it the wrong way – don't hide it, embrace it. And that's where the concept of my "slide-in" shelf came from.
While we currently don't use our attic, we didn't want to block off access to it. So I came up with the concept of a built-in looking shelf that could slide out when necessary, and then put Brent to work.
The first order of business was to go through the cabinet, which was super exciting because I found my houndstooth stencil (so I can finally repair the hole).
Then we cleared it out:
Now it was time for measurements. We still managed to have scraps leftover from the man cave built-ins, so this was another free project. Brent didn't want to deal with the angle at the top – so we put a permit board there, and had the shelving unit below that.
Once it was built, the painting began:
The end result:
I am so happy with how it turned out!
I grew up in a 1920s cape code. There was detail everywhere and built-ins in every room. While this no nowhere close to that 1920s craftmanship, it does remind me of the house I grew up in and that makes me smile.
From eyesore to wow feature:
very clever, it looks great!ReplyDelete
very clever. it looks great.ReplyDelete
I just love built ins of all kinds. Great job.ReplyDelete
Love this, Ashley! Perfect use of the space!ReplyDelete