Thursday, February 9, 2012

Meet the power pack

Meet my current fashion accessory:

Yep, this is my LifeVest. I wear it 24/7...unless I'm showering.

The middle part is what's on my back and then the straps snap in the front. The 4 circles are sensors that monitor my heart rate, and the 3 gray rectangular things are the terrifying defibrillators that will shock me if my heart get out of line (if I don't respond to the warning alarm within 30 seconds). The cord going off the bottom of the photo connects to a "battery purse" that I wear around. I think it looks like a binocular case, so I just pretend to be an avid bird watcher.

Yesterday morning, my warning alarm sounded for real while I was sleeping – not only scaring the crap out of me, but also leaving me in quite the funk. Then it did again last night, and again today while I was trying to nap.

The connection between all 3 events? I was sleeping on my left side.

After a phone call to my cardiologist and to the LifeVest company, all is fine. Apparently, the sensors aren't registering correctly at times when I'm on my side and it's giving off "artificial readings." Because of this, I earned a sympathy vote from my cardiologist though – so my echo is being bumped up to tomorrow from Monday.

So, please send any positive heart vibes this way...and hopefully I'll be able to ditch the vest.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck! Will be sending positive vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been checking in daily to see how you are doing. Sending positive good thoughts your way. I hope all goes well at your doc today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope all is going well with you. I am not much of a commenter, but read your blog often. Just wanted to say I am sending good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Positive thoughts heading your way. Will be thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ashley. Hope you have had your power pack removed and feeling a lot more free now days.

    ReplyDelete