Monday, January 2, 2012

The nursery

My goal was to have Audrey's nursery complete by the end of the year. While it's still missing a few elements, I'm excited to say that if I go in labor today – she will come home to a room that looks done and is now finally clean.

I didn't do a mood board for this room. I'm not sure if this hurt or helped me in the long run. I tried to use Pinterest, but I was even way to indecisive for even that and didn't make it too far. I can't even count how many times I changed my mind on fabrics. Really, the only piece of the nursery I was positive on was my argyle wall – so I based all of my decisions off of that.

The other deciding factor was budget. Baby items are a lot like wedding items – tack the word baby in front of it and the price sky rockets. So, I had my one splurge item – the glider and ottoman set, and then actually repurposed a lot of items for this space.


The crib is actually from Wal-Mart. It wasn't our original first choice (we were actually wanting the Somnat crib in green from Ikea and even made the 7-hour journey to Minneapolis for it. Of course, this was during Ikea's massive crib recall, so that idea fell through). When I saw the Baby Mod crib at Wal-Mart though, I came up with a new plan. Keep the crib white, and paint the wood base at the bottom green. I like this look so much more, and I still have a crib with some green on it.

I actually received this star in 2005 as a graduation present from my parents. It's been in a lot of rooms, but I think it going in a nursery is rather perfect. It's from a fabulous decor store in Lawrence, KS, that sadly closed several years ago.

Audrey's first Picasso's:

The glider and ottoman set are from BuyBuy Baby and were the big splurge, coming in at $600. The houndstooth quilt pattern was $7.50, and I had that made (this girl does not sew). The pillow is something I got off Etsy for my family room several years ago. The lamp is from Target, and the table is from a Craigslist flip I did in 2010.

The dresser was a $40 purchase off of Craigslist that I repainted. The painting is a DIY project I did several weekends ago.

The Expedit shelf was another must for the nursery:

An art fair purchase from 5 years ago:

The closet:

Drawer organization:

I started the nursery at 15 weeks. And at 34 weeks and 6 days, I can happily say "done!"

20 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic! I love the argyle wall. I'm sure Audrey will love it :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful, Ashley! I do appreciate the fact that we're crib twins (and almost bed skirt and sheet twins, too), but I really like how you painted the bottom of the crib. Nice personal touch! Great job. Our little girls will be here before we know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks adorable! What a fantastic baby room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The nursery looks amazing! Love the crib and the glider. And of course the bookshelf! It all fits together just perfectly! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This room is great and can easily grow with the baby. Perfect. My favorite are the art prints.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!!! Of course, my first thought was, "I need that star lamp for my nursery!", but it's the one thing I can't go out and buy. Great idea though, I will be on the lookout for one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks gorgeous! I love the wire baskets in the bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how cute! Love the star, love that you painted the inside of the closet yellow =) You little one will be here before we know it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The nursery turned out so great! What a fun room.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found your blog at The DIY Showoff!
    What you`ve done to this room is amazing!
    So pretty, love the whole yellow and greens!
    And this striped penguin is so cute;)
    I`m your newest follower!
    If you like please visit my blog too, stay a while and maybe follow back;)

    http://pudel-design.blogspot.com/

    Lovely greetings from Germany...

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did an awesome job, love the argyle wall ! What a lucky baby.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So fun and colorful - I hope you don't mind, but I am sharing this on my blog this evening. Take care, Laura at findinghomeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!!! Just loving all of the sweet details in this room!

    I'm thinking of doing a stencil wall in our nursery too.... thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks wonderful...my favorite aspect is the wall!! nice job! I am expecting a baby boy in April, and still trying to figure out what the heck I am going to do!!!! Love your color scheme!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks great! My daughter was given the inflatable penguin on her first Christmas when she was 7 months old. She FREAKED out when it was touched and it came wobbling to her. She was super tired but it would be a little scary! I do love all the penguin themed items. We did something similar with hippos but I love how you displayed them all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful new space for your girl! love the mix of colors and patterns. visiting from project nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Where did you get those great wire bins? I've been looking for something similar for my Expedit shelving units!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazon!

      Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-47970-Medium-Storage-Basket/dp/B000QGRY3Y/ref=br_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3ODR144NUDF0D&coliid=IYS8A5YIOFFKJ

      Delete