Sunday, May 22, 2011

Curb Appeal (day 8 and done!)

After today, the forecast is rain, rain, rain until my mom's party. So, today was the day to finish up the front yard; and after 8 hours braving the humidity – it's done!

Last summer:
Now:

I'm really happy with how it turned out. I can't believe this project can be crossed off the list. This is something Brent and I have wanted to do ever since we moved in, but kept putting it off because of time and financial fears. Thankfully, both concerns turned out to be a non-issue.

Time
I did this project in 8 days, and only had help for half of them. The project would have been done even sooner, but surprises like a gas lamp pole and a bed of rocks underneath the dirt – held me up.

The financial breakdown:
- Ripping out the bushes: free (DIY)
- Retaining wall stones: $80.85 (55 stones during Home Depot's spring Black Friday sale at $1.47, normally $1.69)
- Retaining wall toppers: $33.80 (20 toppers at $1.69 each)
- Landscape block glue: $9.60 (2 bottles)
- Shrubs and perennials: $113.66
- Mulch: $14 (7 bags during Home Depot's spring Black Friday sale)

Pre-tax Total: $251.91

Not bad at all.

4 comments:

  1. I love it! It looks fab. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job ~ Looks so much better without those bushes blocking the walk/entrance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so pretty! I am still trying to decide what to do with our front yard, you are really inspiring me to get to get to work on it!

    ReplyDelete