Even with 2 mishaps (both in the mis-measuring department), more progress was made on the built-ins than I expected.
The blank canvas:
There are some things we just aren't comfortable DIYing, like things that require straight lines. We had Home Depot cut all the shelving. The first 2 cuts are free, and everything after is $.50 a cut. $17 is a small price to pay for straight lines. We dropped off our "order" Saturday morning and it was ready 40 minutes later. Totally worth it.
The base (not sure what's going on with the spots):
Saturday's progress pic:
The big blank area (which is DVD shelving) was done, but I'm mean and had Brent redo it this morning. The bottom shelf was too short (as in, you couldn't put a finger above the DVD to grab it out). He said we could make due, I gave him several mean looks and finally I got my way. While I still don't think he is happy with me, I'm sure he'll be thankful about it in the long run.
Aside from the shelves, we alo dogsat this little cutie: