Friday, October 19, 2012

My 30th: Part 3 – Cape Cod

My fascination of Cape Cod started with Nantucket in middle school. Instead of Snapple, my cafeteria served Nantucket Nectar. I would faithfully drink one each lunch period and learn a fact about Nantucket on the inside of the bottle cap.

Since then, my fascination with Cape Cod and my love of lighthouses has grown to an unhealthy amount.

Oh, and I'm happy to report that I saw 13 lighthouses this trip. Eeek!

Day 3


Our hotel was in Dennis. The logic was being, it was in the center or Cape Cod – so it'd be easy to get to everything. This was great in theory...unless you fall madly in love with Provincetown and spend all free time driving the hour to get there.

We stayed at The Breakers Resort, and it was rather fabulous. I went the cheap route and booked the studio apartment, which came with a kitchenette, balcony, fireplace and jet tub. The only downside was the murphy bed.

We did score a front room, with a view of the ocean.


Then we started our lighthouse road trip to Provincetown (and I fell in love). Let me explain. Massachusetts is basically all woods, because of this, you see nothing from the highway but trees. But once you reach Provincetown, everything opens up and you see this amazingly tall monument and it's just so beautiful (but more on that later).

That afternoon we walked halfway down the water break:

And walked Herring Cove Beach at sunset:


By the time we got back into the car, it was dark. We drove past the mysteriously tall object, which turned out to be the Pilgrim Monument, and then headed back to Dennis. There, we chilled on our balcony and enjoyed some local beer.

Day 4

We took a high-speed ferry to Nantucket from Hyannis. While high-speed is more expensive, you'll save an hour each way – so worth the money in my opinion.

When we got to Nantucket, I'm pretty sure I was glowing. My first view was this:


Followed by this:


Yep, this was exactly how I pictured it.

We did the senior citizen thing again, and took a 90-minute bus tour. I'm so happy we did, because there's really not an easy way to get around the island...plus we got to see an amazing lighthouse The tour guide was a Nantucket native, and we learn lots of fun facts about Nantucket, such as residents only have 12 exterior paint color options.


Once back to the Cape Cod mainland, we enjoyed another beach/lighthouse at sunset.


That night I tried to finalize our plans for the following morning. We were supposed to explore the west side of Cape Cod, but all I could think about was Provincetown and that amazing monument, and how great it would be to see again. I talked about the monument enough that I'm pretty sure Brent knew the question I was going to ask before I even knew what I was getting at.

Day 5

That morning we drove to Provincetown...again. I'm pretty sure I was giddy to entire drive, but how could you not be when the trees open up and this is your view:

I find the Pilgrim Monument to be completely unexpected, and that's why I find it so amazing. Provincetown is this old-school looking town with white churches and whatnot, and then there's this giant castle-looking tower. It doesn't fit in at all. It's eerily beautiful. Even now, I'm completely mesmorized by it.

Because my pictures don't do it enough justice.

This monument is 238 feet of fabulousness, and it's worth the exhausting journey to the top.


I didn't want to leave Provincetown. Thankfully, I got distracted quickly by the thought of our upcoming lighthouse tour in Truro.


And then on to the lighthouses in Wellfleet:


And then it was on to Martha's Vineyard, where we stayed overnight. We stayed at Harbor View. I don't think I'll ever forget that hotel. It was my happy place.


Even better? It's across from the lighthouse.


Yep, I was in heaven.

Aside from a nice dinner out at Seafood Shanty, Brent and I spent our time relaxing at either the lighthouse or our hotel's giant wrap-around porch.

Day 6

We had to jump back on the ferry at 10 a.m., so we made the most of our morning by watching the sunrise.



Once in Falmouth, we visited one last lighthouse.


And then it was time to head back to Boston.

I can't say enough good things about this trip. I especially love Cape Cod, and already have dreams of going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment