Friday, June 11, 2010

My completed backyard (maybe)

I know I have been slacking, but between working on the houndstooth wall, my wine intake and currently dogsitting one of our former foster dogs – well, I've been a little busy (or tipsy).

Since Brent and I are hosting Father's Day, we have set a lot of unrealistic goals on what we would like done. In that list, includes the bar, the houndstooth wall and the backyard.

Well, I'm happy to say that the backyard is now done.

This was the last problem area:
After mulching and some stone rearranging, this is how it looks:
While it's not amazing, it will do for now. Next year, I have plans on experimenting with climbing roses. (And to my fellow reader who informed me bleeding hearts are poisonous to dogs, thank you and it has been removed).

As for the rest of my landscape, here's how it looks now:
One yucca is in full bloom (my other yucca apparently decided to take the year off. But it does appear the asiatic lilies I planted to replace the zinnias are going strong – and they are big enough that the dogs run around them versus through them):
The day lilies are about to bloom:
The hydrangeas are out:
And this mystery flower is also saying hello (anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking it's a false sunflower, but I have no idea):

6 comments:

  1. Looks like echinacea aka coneflower to me. The yard looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily of the valley is poisonous for dogs! Check this site:

    http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/lily-of-the-valley.html

    This site give you a exhaustive list for poisonus plants for dogs.
    By the way, I love your blog, and your house it's wonderful. *sigh*
    Cheers, Steffie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look great!

    I am so jealous of all your plants! I think we have one bush around our entire house, and we had to trim it like crazy so they could read the electric meter... but at least (most of) my flowers are still alive! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they look like echinacea, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kari and Melissa – The flowers bloomed some more this weekend and they are definitely coneflowers. Thanks!

    Steffie – It's on my list to be taken care of. My dogs show no interest to these flowers though, so it will probably be a project for this fall once it cools down.

    ReplyDelete