Brent and I made 2 rookie mistakes with the upstairs in September while we were moving in.
1. We painted the office the same color as the office in the old house.
While there is nothing wrong with Sherwin Williams' mocha – it definitely isn't right for this house...especially that bedroom. Not only are there fewer windows, but the house faces a different direction, which just means we have less sunlight...period. And that color just makes the bedroom even darker.
2. We weren't thinking about the future.
Putting the office where we did seemed like a good idea at the time, but now it just seems all wrong. Bedroom #3 is nothing but storage right now, which means that door stays closed. Seeing the always-closed door from the entry way isn't my favorite thing in the world. Plus, when the baby thing does happen – the current office just makes more sense as a nursery. From my bed, I can see into that bedroom – it just makes more sense.
- Switch the two bedrooms
- Embrace the brown in the office, but make it a lighter brown and do horizontal stripes throughout it
- Finish all the door and trim painting in both rooms
- Rip out the carpet in the hallway and both bedrooms (and pray the hardwood floors underneath are in good condition)